In our preparing the boat for the South Pacific, we had a lot of discussions what to buy to get our weather data. A pactor modem for the SSB or something with satellites. We end up with the Iridium Go (something with satellites) We ordered from Predictwind the Marine package . You really need some patient to get it working, but after that.. perfect!
- We can call;
- we can send and receive email (even send pictures)
- with an app you can use your own phone;
- you can easily take it with you;
- we can receive weather data, also as grib files on the laptops;
- we were able to read some mobile optimized website on the internet;
- there is a SOS function;
- it was cheaper than a Pactor Modem.
- Predict wind has good monthly plans.
(advertising ) 🙂
Stay Connected Anywhere in the World
Iridium GO!™ is unlike anything the world has seen before. Powered by the world’s furthest reaching network, this compact, rugged and portable unit creates the first ever reliable global connection for voice and data communications on up to five different devices (smartphones, laptops or tablets).
Manuals and documentation
Iridium Go user manual